Gas Safety: Protecting Your Home Against Carbon Monoxide

Gas accidents have resulted in injuries and deaths for thousands of people around the world. It can be difficult not to take gas for granted without knowing the dangers of gas. You should always make sure to use a gas installer that has been properly licensed in order to do work in your home as knowing the ins and outs of the trade are what make all the difference when it comes to safety.

When you have employed the services of an engineer, you can check the ID of the service person by visiting the Energy Market Authority of Singapore website. Then simply search for License Gas Service Workers

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide presents an invisible yet serious danger in the home. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be a cause of serious illness or death. This gas is hard to detect because it lacks colour and is odourless. It is a good idea to check your gas appliances. If you have appliances that are faulty in inadequate ventilation in your house, carbon monoxide can build up. Solid fuels, oil and gas that has not burned completely can be a source of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

The signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include nausea as your body is starved of oxygen. After that brain damage can occur. In serious cases, death can result. The best thing that can be done to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to get the appliances checked out by professionals at least twice per year. You should also make sure to buy and install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home. The alarm must be specially designed to detect carbon monoxide as normal smoke alarms do not do this.

Look for the Signs

If you notice that your boiler or appliance is burning fuel but has a yellow or orange flame that looks irregular, turn the device off and call an engineer out to check it right away. The flame on your appliance should always be blue or purple. If you think there is carbon monoxide in your home, open the windows and doors and let fresh air in. If you are having symptoms such as nausea, tiredness, headaches, a dry cough or sore throat, seek medical attention right away.

Recommended Posts: